Four Kitchens - Drupal Support Developer
Drupal Camp Asheville 2021 Online Edition - July 8th-9th
Four Kitchens is looking for a full-time Drupal Support Developer with a passion for open-source technologies and a penchant for customer service. As a Support Developer with Four Kitchens, you will help clients refine their ongoing website enhancement through development, performance optimization, and platform updates. Efforts include everything from supporting legacy CMS systems to building new features for clients on innovative headless platforms. You must enjoy working on multiple complex projects simultaneously and have the ability to engage in honest and clear communication with clients and your team.
As a Web Chef, you will first and foremost exemplify our Core Values. You will also exhibit a natural curiosity and a passion for making really cool stuff for the web. We expect our whole team to self-lead and prioritize as distributed team members—your frequent communication and participation in company culture will be key indicators of your engagement at Four Kitchens. Being a constant self-educator is essential, so advanced degrees are not a requirement for this role as we believe that experience and passion are more important.
We’re committed to providing an inclusive workplace and building a diverse team. At our core we believe deeply in diversity and inclusiveness as being key parts of a healthy team. We aim to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work. So, if you look at our team page and don’t see yourself, don’t shy away. Come work with us!
As a Drupal Support Developer, you will…
- Work closely with a tight-knit team that complements each other’s strengths to collaboratively solve problems
- Refine & extend existing sites and build new features from the ground up for a variety of clients.
- Most sites are Drupal 7 or 8/9 or WordPress, and this position leans towards PHP and the “backend”
- Sometimes you’ll be required to update HTML, CSS, and JS for client sites
- A small but growing number of clients are on headless solutions using React
- Create solutions that promote reuse, readability, and best-practice coding standards
- Make performance and scalability a part of every feature built.
- Continually improve our process and workflow.
- Keep pace with rapid innovation in web technologies and exhibit a desire to push limitations.
- Communicate openly, transparently, and effectively with clients and team members
You’re our next Drupal Support Developer if you…
- Have 2-3 years of experience working with open source PHP content management systems like Drupal or WordPress
- Are Familiar with a Git-based workflow for Web Development, and experience with Dev/Stage/Prod workflow
- Have experience in debugging, problem-solving, and fixing websites
- Have experience managing multiple competing priorities
- Demonstrate a good understanding of accessibility considerations and web standards
- Desire to engage with the open-source community via code contributions, projects, presentations, blog posts, etc
About Four Kitchens
Four Kitchens is a leading digital strategy firm with strong roots in the open-source and free-culture communities. We build websites and apps to engage audiences on virtually any device, in our pursuit of setting knowledge free. We hire developers, designers, and strategists with strong consultative skills and a desire to make a difference, both to our clients and to each other.
Our Values and Culture
Our Web Chefs bring more than their professional skills to the kitchen and we encourage everyone to help guide the direction of our company. We all have a strong voice in what we do and how we do it. Collectively, our values—The Way Of the Web Chef—guide how we interact with each other, our colleagues, and our clients. Four Kitchens is not just a company — it's a closely-knit team. We believe in the power of individuals coming together to do something bigger than they could have done alone.
We believe good talent is where you find it and, as a distributed team, we’re excited to be pioneers in what we believe is the future of work culture. Even though we have no physical office, we strive to remain a collaborative community using tools like Slack and Zoom. The Web Chefs span four time zones and our goal is for team members to feel like they are working together in the same room, even if they're thousands of miles apart.
We care for our teammates as people, which is why we have a generous PTO policy, encourage time off, and have a great benefits package. Not only do we strive to maintain a good work-life balance, but we also participate in interesting and creative projects outside of client work to expand our abilities.
We hope you'll join us!
Include the following materials with your application:
- Cover letter. Tell us about which of our Core Values resonates with you the most and why!
- Samples of your recent coding work. Public contributions on GitHub or Drupal.org are a bonus, but any recent work is helpful. We are looking for a code sample that will be a good starting point for a conversation about your experience and development philosophy. If the sample you provide is part of a team effort please describe your personal contribution. Feel free to redact or obfuscate any client-identifying info. If you cannot show us actual code, please be prepared to describe your coding philosophy and standards in detail.
Four Kitchens welcomes applications from all backgrounds, particularly from people of color; women; LGBTQ+ people; immigrants or refugees; people who are differently-abled; and people from low- or moderate-income backgrounds. Four Kitchens is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, disability status, veteran status, military obligations, marital status and policy party affiliation, or on any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.