Drupal Commerce has never looked nicer out of the box than it does on Drupal 8 thanks to Belgrade, the project's new default store theme. Developing the theme and an attractive demo store proved challenging for two key reasons:
- There is not yet a standard way to import default content into Drupal 8, so we developed the Commerce Demo project to create a product catalog that is easy to remove without ruining the configuration of the site.
- Our design incorporated modern shopping cart interaction paradigms that demanded more than the simple Views and Forms API based solutions we're used to shipping in the core project itself.
Implementing the design resulted in the development of a standalone Commerce Cart API module that anyone can use to develop a custom shopping cart widget and Commerce Cart Flyout, our reference implementation that demonstrates what decoupling Drupal Commerce can look like. This session will explain the use cases that drove our design and development process and where we see progressively decoupled Drupal Commerce going in the future.
The demo store this session will use as a guide is available online at https://braintree.commercekickstart.com. Additionally, this session will include a high level overview of the Drupal Commerce project and ecosystem, but attendees who have some familiarity with the project will get the most out of it.
Attendees of this session will leave with the following knowledge:
- How to install the new Drupal Commerce demo for Drupal 8.
- Out of the box capabilities of the demo store and how to build on it.
- An ecosystem update that includes the roadmap for decoupled Drupal Commerce and other major contributed module efforts.