Upgrading to Drupal 8/9 using the Migrate API (afternoon)
Drupal Camp Asheville 2021 Online Edition - July 8th-9th
About the Speaker(s)
Mauricio Dinarte is passionate about teaching. He is creating educational material in English, Spanish, and French to help break the language barrier when learning Drupal and other technologies. At https://understanddrupal.com/ you can find articles, books, and courses on topics like Drupal site building, migrations, and more.
You will learn to use the Migrate API to upgrade your Drupal 6/7 site to Drupal 8/9. Check how the automated upgrade procedure can help you get a head start in writing the migrations. You will learn different migration strategies, how to accommodate changes in site architecture, tips on troubleshooting issues, and much more.
With the maturity of Drupal 8 and version 9 already available, now is a great time to upgrade your site from Drupal 6 or 7.
There will be plenty of hands on examples to demonstrate different migration strategies even for projects that do not offer automatic upgrade paths. Time will also be allocated to answer attendee’s project specific questions for topics not covered in the predefined material.
Who is your ideal audience member, the person who would get the most out of your training?
Individuals and organizations who want to upgrade their Drupal 6/7 sites to Drupal 8/9. They will learn about the workflow and thought process to execute a successful upgrade project.
What do you expect people to be able to take away from your training?
- Understand the different approaches to upgrading your site to Drupal 8/9 using the Migrate API.
- Revise site architecture and map configuration from the previous site to the new one
- Use the Migrate Drupal UI module to understand module requirements for running upgrades.
- Use the Migrate Upgrade module to generate migration files.
- Cherry-pick content migrations for getting a content type migrated to Drupal 9.
- Modify a migration to convert a content type to a user entity.
- Modify a migration to convert a content type to a paragraph entities.
- Migrate images to media entities.
- Learn about writing a custom process plugin for providing a migrate path for modules that do not include one already.
- Tips and recommendations upgrade projects.
How much and what kind of technical knowledge do people need going in to your training?
To get the most out of this session, attendees should be familiar with Migrate API concepts. You can learn about them at https://understanddrupal.com/31-days-of-migrations You can also have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBP2vQIwx-o for an overview of the Migrate API.